HASTINGS, Mich. (AP) – A 92-year-old Hastings, MI man has dies from pneumonia after testing positive for Legionnaires’ disease.
The man was treated at Spectrum Health Pennock Hospital in Hastings, southeast of Grand Rapids. He was discharged to a rehab center and later died.
The hospital tested its water system on Dec. 12 after the man’s positive test for Legionnaires’ was confirmed. Tests results of the system were positive for Legionella bacteria.
MLive.com reports that Barry-Eaton District Health Medical Director Daniel Woodall said it’s not possible to determine if the man’s death was related to Legionnaires’ disease which is a type of pneumonia caused by bacteria that thrive in warm water.
A Legionnaires’ outbreak killed at least 12 people in the Flint area in 2014 and 2015.
© 2018 Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.